Knitn Fool

It's all knitting.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Leftovers & Log Cabin on Labor Day

Someone on the Monthly Dishcloth KAL asked what people did with their leftover yarn after making a dishcloth - those remainders that are too small to make another cloth. I remembered seeing some very pretty cloths made with leftovers, so this inspired me to get out my bag of scraps. This one was made using the Petal pattern.



The yarns are all Sugar 'n Cream and Peaches & Creme. You change colors on row 7. There were sooo many ends to weave in. I thought I might be able to carry yarns since the color changes were in the middle, so I left the ends attached to the balls after I changed colors. BIG MISTAKE! The yarns became so tangled. So on the second half of the cloth, I cut the yarns after making the color change. I also wove in the ends of the 1st half before I started the second half.

One of my daughters wants me to make a Modern Log Cabin blanket from the Mason Dixon Knitting book. So I made another scrap dishcloth using the log cabin technique.



You can see I need a lot more practice with log cabin. There are some who advocate leaving the stitches "live" on a stitch holder instead of binding off at the end of a log. I tried both ways and thought, for me, it was much neater to bind off. I used a crochet hook to pick up the stitches. I also tried to make the stitch pick up easier on the selvage ends by slipping the first stitch of each row as if to purl. That did make it easier, but my edges were so loosey-goosey that the first row of the new log with these picked up stitches was loose. Overall, I am not happy at all with my log cabin and am hesitant to start a large blanket using this. Any suggestions for improvement? All will be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all have a nice Labor Day holiday, and sorry to all the college kids who have to go to class today!

1 Comments:

Blogger hakucho said...

I love the petal cloth! Perfect for using up all the leftovers. I like the mixed colors better than the plain. Thanks for the idea!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home