Knitn Fool

It's all knitting.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Ballband Inside Out

or, Monthly Dishcloth mid-August KAL Redux



This is a variation on the dishcloth we did in the Monthly Dishcloth group in mid-August. The original pattern used the contrast color for 2 rows of the repeat. Because it was only two rows, the cloth needed two colors with strong contrast. Several people, including me, started the KAL using a solid and a variegated that matched the solid. The pattern just didn't work well; the variegated was lost in too many areas. I suspected that if the cloth were done using the variegated in 4 rows instead of only 2 that the colors would pop more, like the Mason Dixon ballband. It worked, but I like both versions.




Original in white with orange, pink, yellow variegated.

Revised with blue and daisy ombre.

This cloth is the opposite of a Mason Dixon ballband. Instead of "bricks," it has "windows." The bricks in the ballband are garter stitch and the mortar is stockinette. This cloth has stockinette windows with garter stitch frames.

6 Comments:

Blogger Manda said...

I abandoned this KAL pretty early for the reason you mentioned. Your version is a definite improvement. :) It reminds me of Big Dotty from the Mason-Dixon Knitting book. I'll have to give this one another try.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Wow, they turned out great!!

9:22 AM  
Blogger KnitnFool said...

Yes! It does look like Big Dotty, but on a smaller scale. We could call it Little Dotty!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

you really have a nice eye for color. Those are lovely. I haven't made mine yet (been working on my swaps) but after seeing your's I've got to get started.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

This looks great. I wonder if I'll have enough variegated yarn left in the ball I'm using for the mid-sept. KAL to do this pattern...

12:38 PM  
Blogger KnitnFool said...

Thanks for all the nice comments left here and emailed to me from the monthly dishcloth group. Lauren, you should have enough yarn left to do this cloth if you started the mid-Sept cloth with a full ball of a yarn that is at least as big as a ball of S'C or P&C.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home